How to use login.gov if you have limited access to a phone or cell service
You can create a login.gov account and sign in using a mobile or landline phone, or an authentication application.
If you have limited access to a phone or cell service, you can use an authentication application or your personal key.
Use an authentication application to generate a login.gov security code
An authentication application can generate security codes for signing in to sites that require a high level of security. You can use these apps to get security codes even if you don’t have an internet connection or mobile service.
You can set up an authentication application with your login.gov account to generate the one-time security codes.
- Choose a device, such as a computer, or mobile device (phone or tablet), on which you can install apps.
- Download and install an authentication app to the device. Research the best option for you, but here are a few examples:
- Follow these steps if you already have a login.gov account:
- Sign into your login.gov account at https://secure.login.gov/
- Stay on the login.gov site and go to Manage Account.
- Look for Authentication Application and click Enable.
- Follow the steps to set up an authentication application.
- Follow these steps if you don’t have a login.gov account:
- Create an account on login.gov at https://secure.login.gov.
- Select the Authentication application option and follow the steps to finish setting up the app.
You can use the one-time security codes generated by the application each time you sign in, instead of receiving an SMS (text messages) or phone call.
Use your login.gov personal key
This option is always available with no additional software. After you create your login.gov account, you will receive a personal key. You can use your personal key to sign in. However, you will receive a new personal key every time you use it to sign in. The personal key can only be used once. If you plan to use your personal key each time you sign in, you must always use the newest version of it.
- Sign into login.gov with your email address and password.
- Select Use a personal key on the Enter your security code page.
- Follow the instructions to enter your personal key code.
Use a free text messaging application
You can download a free text messaging app that lets you send and receive free text messages and some even give you a phone number—giving you a way to get your login.gov one-time security code. There are many options available depending on the platform. We recommend you research the best option for you, but here are a few examples:
- What’s App